Hello, and welcome to It’s Lit Teaching! My name is Heather, and I’m a high school English teacher. Here at It’s Lit Teaching, my goal is to help awesome educators like you not only survive, but thrive throughout the school year.
I started this blog and my Teachers Pay Teachers store to help!
So, how can I help you?
- I want my students to read more!
- My curriculum is stale and boring!
- I can’t keep up with everything!
- I want to improve my teaching methods!
- I want to earn more money!
I Want my Students to Read More!
- First, read my complete guide: How To Create the Classroom Library of Your Dreams.
- Then, check out my Lit Literature reviews! These are written to help high school English teachers wade through all of the awesome young adult literature out there so only the best make it to their shelves. (Psst! I recommend starting with Black and White!)
- Read One Day of Independent Reading with High School Students to read a real-life example.
- Sign up for my mailing list and
rec ei vemy FREE Must-Have List for the High School English Classroom!
My Curriculum is Stale and Boring!
- Read How to Implement a New Novel in Your Classroom for a step-by-step guide on switching up your curriculum.
- Be sure to grab your FREE social injustice graphic organizer.
- If you are specifically thinking of teaching The Hate U Give, read:
- If you need to add some interest to a classic literature unit, check out this guest post by my friend Yaddy, How to Design a Novel Unit That Doesn’t Bore Your Students to Death
I Can’t Keep Up With Everything!
- For some feel-good reading, check out :
- Eliminate some prep work with done-for-you units. I have one for:
- If you’re almost at the end of your school year, you can try these 5 tips
- Then breathe, and find out The One Thing Your Students Need the Most.
I Want to Improve My Teaching Methods
- Want to add some creativity?
- Read Why You Should Teach a Creative Writing Class
- Start with this FREE “I Am” Poem lesson with your students to see how it goes
- Ready to uplevel your teaching strategies?
- Have you tried Scaffolding in the Creative Writing Classroom?
- Or Authentic Assessments?
- You can even learn How to Close Read A Whole Novel With Students of Any Skill Level.
- I just want some easy and seasonal activities for my class!
- Back-to-school time calls for Back-to-School Stations!
- My Horror Genre Study Unit is perfect for a creepy October.
- For Christmas, definitely check out my “Nicholas Was…” Writing Activity or my Holiday Analysis for Use with Any Character.
I Want to Earn More Money!
I have a special resource page for you RIGHT HERE!